Sunday, May 27, 2012

Napoleon Dynamite

Now, the only reason I’ve decided to review this movie because my boyfriend really wanted to re-watch it and I honestly don’t have the time to analyze an extra movie. I killed two birds with one stone by watching this movie. Without further ado, I present to you my review of Napoleon Dynamite.


I’m sure the vast majority of you have already seen Napoleon Dynamite, but it’s a sort of drama story that is filmed much like Juno and Little Miss Sunshine, but with less actual plot. This is a short plot summary taken from IMDb:
“A listless and alienated teenager decides to help his new friend win the class presidency in their small western high school, while he must deal with his bizarre family life back home.”
The thing about the official summary is that it only really deals with the last 1/3 of the movie. The greatest part of the movie is just setting things up, and even the class presidency storyline seems muddled down by all the other things that are going on in Napoleon’s life. Giving up an enticing plot for more of a slice of life story is an acquired taste, but I honestly love those types of movies. To follow someone else’s life can be somewhat interesting and I feel like I can connect better to the characters and even understand the humour more. To me, Napoleon Dynamite is so slice of life that nothing can be forced and everything is believable concerning the plot and the characters. The awkward moments are properly placed, the jokes are believable, and the cute moments are very few, but favourable.
When it comes to characters, each one of them has their own story and own ideas that isn’t improperly forced on you. All the characters in Napoleon Dynamite get a proper amount of screen time for you to understand what you need to about them. This is especially true for the grandmother. She only appears for a few scenes, but you know exactly the type of person she is through her appearances and what other characters say about her. If I were to choose a character that sticks out the most to me, it would obviously be Napoleon just because we get a completely feel for him because of how the movie follows him completely. I do feel, however, that the characters of more popular crowd are a tad stereotypical, but I think that’s the point of their characters, as they aren’t supposed to be fully developed and are just there to move the plot forward (or what there is of a plot).
The music in this movie is just plain entertaining to me. It’s just so… indie sounding, I guess. The music does fit properly in the movie and doesn’t really disturb the viewing, but enhances it. Not much else to be said about that, honestly.
The only real possible downfall to the movie is the fact that you need to be able to watch a rather slow-paced movie that unravels itself much like how events in real life do. Nothing in the movie is over-done and there is not real ‘interest’ value other than that in Napoleon’s life and the jokes that come up. I have to say, some of the character’s side plots are quite ridiculous and unfold so subtly that you need to think back as to what occurred before to cause the change in the character.
Overall, I personally like Napoleon Dynamite, but I think it’s definitely not for everyone. If you’ve seen Juno or Little Miss Sunshine and enjoyed the way it was done, then you should try out Napoleon Dynamite, if you’ve not yet seen it.
Well, that was a sufficiently boring review. Apologies. I’m better with things I feel strongly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment