Sunday, May 13, 2012

Romantically Apocalyptic - Part 2: Theories

I know how much my FAITHFUL readers have been waiting for this, so I tried to finish it up and get it out there as quickly as possible. This was a really challenging post to make because I needed to research and figure out which of my theories that I wanted to talk about.  Also: I’m lazy.
This is part two of 


*SPOILERS*

For those of you here to read, I’d advise you read the comic before reading this blog post because I will be taking for granted that the reader will understand general information about the web comic.
When I decided to do the review of Romantically Apocalyptic, Adam, my boyfriend, and I spent a good few hours just talking about our theories of the comics and what might possibly be going on. This story is difficult to piece together because you need to look at not only the comic, but blog posts as well. We have narrowed it down to three things we want to discuss: the Captain’s gender, the Captain’s possible powers, and my colour theory about how certain colours in the comic tell a story and give hints to what is happening. The following is the collaborated efforts of Adam and me on these points. 

Gender Confusion

Captain himself is a large mystery, probably the largest in all of Romantically Apocalyptic. One that has stirred up the forums and fan base quite a bit is the gender of The Captain.
When I first stumbled upon Romantically Apocalyptic through my friend, Jim, I believed that Captain was male. That wasn’t difficult to mix up considering how masculine the Captain’s body is. However, there are a lot of hints that point toward The Captain being female, or at least was a female.
In one of the blog posts romanticallyapocalyptic.com/blog/a-captive-audience, the Pilot refers to Captain as being a little girl from Germany:

PILOT: “EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T BORN A "LITTLE GIRL IN A STRANGE AND FORGOTTEN COUNTRY FORMERLY KNOWN AS GERMANY", AND I CAN'T MAGICALLY TRANSCEND SPACE-TIME, SOMEDAY I WANT TO GROW UP TO BE JUST LIKE CAPTAIN...”

http://romanticallyapocalyptic.com/6 Pilot refers to Captain as a female the most.
Later in the blog posts, when the voice is Engie’s, they leave Captain’s gender very unspecific, calling him “You”, “Project Seven”, or “Captain”

“Could Seven's luck actually transfer onto others?
If this is true, then Seven could be the key to my survival.
That or the super must have wanted me alive.
Oh, I will play your little game Captain.
I know not why you'd want me, but as long as I stay close to you, I might survive.”

Now, despite the fact that this is a canon fan comic, I do believe that it could be a hint towards Captain’s gender. Mind you, I think I read on Facebook that even though he wore a bra, doesn’t mean he’s a woman, but I can’t seem to find the post again.
Speaking of Facebook, I’d like to note that I follow all the characters on there and they called Captain a “he”, but I’m not sure how relevant that is as it’s a more relaxed forum. Thought it was worth mentioning, though.
It might be a bit of a stretch, but in one of Snippy’s dreams, just when they are about to go out into the danger zone, there is a woman in the background putting on a pair of purple eyes glasses.


I am personally convinced that this is the Captain, though Adam has his doubts. The only reason I believe that this is the Captain is because of the fact there has been no one else with this colour of goggles, so why randomly put someone in the background wearing a pair? It just doesn’t make much sense to me for Alexius to do that without reason. 

Doctor Captain

We are completely convinced that Captain has great powers that have something to do with time. It’s hard to talk about it completely because there are so many hints towards it. Dr. Gromov created Project Seven, which Snippy passed; Alexander was trying to experiment with bending time and stopping gravity. Dr. Gromov needed to find the luckiest person alive to do this, which is later pointed out to be Captain because Snippy called Seven a “Bumbling idiot who hands out machinery like candy”, which is what Captain did.
His flash back shows a world that looks much like our and we know the universe of ROMAC is far into the future. So, we can assume that Captain has had these powers for a long time, either coming from the future or the past, it is hard to tell.
The Pilot also explain in one of his blog posts how Captain stops time to save them from dying:

I FLEW THE CAPTAIN ONCE ON A MISSION OF GREAT IMPORTANCE. WE HAD A SKY-ACCIDENT.
CAPTAIN SAVED MY LIFE FROM THE BURNING CARCASS OF THE FLYING COW.

CAPTAIN IS MAGIC, LIKE HARRY POTTER BUT MORE MAGIC.  

CAPTAIN CAN STOP CLOCKS, I KNOW BECAUSE I'VE SEEN IT. THE COW'S CLOCKS AND DIALS FROZE IN PLACE WHEN CAPTAIN GAVE THEM A STERN LOOK.

THE MIRACLES OF CAPTAIN ARE INFINITE AND GREAT.

CAPTAIN LIVES FOREVER. I HAVE
PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE.”

This picture is seriously scary because the fact that this is a REAL newspaper. It is possible that Alexius created the Captain in the image of the person in the background, but we can never be for sure. Still, I think this very post proves the existence of Captain’s time-bending powers. 

Colour Theory

[Sorry for the annoying colours below]
This theory is actually something I came up with by myself while sitting on my bed, idling watching the desktop background slideshow of ROMAC. The comic, though mostly in grey scale, has emphasis on some basic colours like red, green ,purple,  blue, and yellow. I believe this emphasis on colours is intentional in such a way that it tells us more about the story.
Through much conversation I have narrowed the colours down to what I think each of them means.
Red: This is Cancer, the one side of the invaders that want to make the Earth inhabitable for them by spreading their “taint”. (For Starcraft people: Think about Zerg’s creep)
Green: The other invaders who wish to cleanse the world to make it inhabitable for them. Red and Green are in a constant dispute over who can change the biosphere of the Earth. Currently: It seems like Red is winning.
Purple: This is the Captain’s colour. Purple is also a bit of a
mystical colour, which led me to believe that there was something different about the Captain.

Blue: Blue is the Good Inc, the people who crated ANNET and were taxing a bunch of stuff. This much is obvious by the continuing blue scenes when Snippy have “flashbacks” to his time in Good Inc. They are so important because ANNET brought about the apocalypse.
Yellow: These are the people who cling onto the humanity in the world, or the old world. Basically my only evidence of this is the cave people in the scenes after the Captain crashed the train into that building.
I’d also like to point out that all the colours are ever present in a main four characters. Let me tell you why:
Captain: Captain holds the colours of both red and purple. Though I am not sure why red, all I can guess is that there’s a possibly twist in his neutrality, the purple is his colour. Purple is also the colour in which time is most associated with in this comic and that is why I said above that I believe that Captain is some sort of time mage.
Snippy: Snippy holds the colours of blue. It is obvious that the reason for this is that he was a part of Good Inc and that he is still somewhat affiliated with them.
Pilot: Pilot holds the colour of green, and to be completely honest I have not thought of a reason for this. It may be because of his purity and childish purity. Or there is a twist later.
Engie: Engie holds the colour of yellow. My theory for his colour is that his main goal in creating ANNET was to advance humanity and make things a little simpler for them. However, he did not think it would back fire so terribly.
It sounds just about right. The only problem is the fact that Green (Invader's Union) sent out Cancer (Biomass 117), which is Red.
 Now, I'd like you to turn your attention to this: 


Notice the cogs in the background being surrounded by purple clouds, which represents the Captain in my theory. Below that is the old world, the world where the universe was fine and not shrinking. Now, it is because of this picture that I believe that Captain's spat with time has effected the size of the Universe. This both belongs in my Colour Theory and the Captain's time travel theory, but I wanted to mention it after showing the colours.
In the same comic is this picture:


I believe this picture depicts the battle between the old world, dependent on brain power (left side) and the new world, dependent on technology. Not much else to be said for these. [Comic #28]

I believe that later in the series that some of these points will become more evident, or my theories might be debunked. However, I stand firm on the idea that Alexius had this story completely planned out and everything that is done in it is very deliberate and that the silliest is supposed to distract you from finding out plot points too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment